- Tour Interest: Birding
- Tour Type: Overland
- Tour Dates: Runs on request
- Tour Duration: 10 days – 9 nights
- Starts/Ends: Starts in Córdoba ends in San Luis
- Best time to go: September to April
- Prices: Based on group size
Argentina’s Central Hills are well reputed among birders due to the fact that they hold most of this country’s endemic birds. The central Argentinean provinces of Córdoba and San Luis host some of the most fantastic birding destinations in southern South America and boast some of the most spectacular landscapes in Argentina. On top of that, they allow for easy birding and offer great lodging alternatives – a combination hardly ever matched anywhere else in this part of the world!
Spending a few days in this area provides unique chances to explore habitats including hills, rivers, dry Chaco forests, grasslands, Monte brushlands and farmlands – all very “birdie” and mostly open habitats.
Among this region’s birding hotspots, it is worth mentioning Mar Chiquita lagoon – a huge wetland surrounded by farmlands and some remaining patches of dry forests. Mar Chiquita is one of the best places in Argentina for shorebirds, over all for migratory ones. The lagoon also holds one of the largest populations of flamingos in Argentina. But there are also other special places to explore in Córdoba, like for instance the immense salt flats known as Salinas Grandes. These provide perfect habitat for the endemic and endangered Salinas Monjita – a bird that we will surely look for while in that area. No birding trip to Córdoba could be completed without looking for specialties and endemics at the Córdoba Hills, so we will surely spend time birding this area as well.
After birding Córdoba we’ll move on to the Province of San Luis. The habitat here is somehow dryer than in Córdoba and has its own special set of unique birds, mammals, and other wildlife. The Monte, a dry shrubland that can only be found in central Argentina and northern Patagonia, is well represented in San Luis. This is an area where animal species from the north live alongside Patagonian ones. A clear example of this is an Argentine endemic mammal: the odd-looking Patagonian Mara. We will bird San Luis’s beautiful, arid landscapes, looking for desert dwellers that call this place home to add them to our trip list.
Join us on this tour through the heart of Argentina, to enjoy its wonderful birds, and other animals, but also to enjoy its breathtaking landscapes and learn about its unique flora.
Some birds that we’ll look for:
Andean Condor, Spot-winged Falconet, Brushland Tinamou, Andean Tinamou, Chaco Chachalaca, Snowy Crowned Tern, Chaco Puffbird, Black-bodied Woodpecker, Cream-backed Woodpecker, Black-legged Seriema, Burrowing Parrot, Red-tailed Comet, Olive-crowned Crescentchest, Crested Gallito, Scimitar-billed Woodcreeper, Chaco Earthcreeper, Crested Hornero, Olrog’s Cinclodes, Cordoba Cinclodes, Lark-like Brushrunner, Streak Backed Canastero, Greater Wagtail Tyrant, Black-crowned Monjita, Salinas Monjita, Andean Slaty Thrush, Carbonated Sierra Finch, Many-colored Chaco Finch, Black-and-Chestnut Warbling Finch, Rufous-sided Warbling Finch, Black-breasted Warbling Finch.
Mammals possibly found:
Patagonian Mara, Chacoan Mara, Grey Brocket Deer, Culpeo Fox, South American Grey Fox, Southern Three-banded Armadillo, Hog Nosed Skunk, Large Hairy Armadillo and Guanaco.
- Day 1– Meeting with your Trogon Tours’ leader at Cordoba airport. Transfer to Miramar. Birding around Mar Chiquita lagoon. O/N Miramar.
- Day 2– Full day birding Mar Chiquita National Park. O/N Miramar.
- Day 3– Drive to Estancia El Retiro, full day Birding the Chaco forest at the Estancia. Afternoon drive to Dean Funes. O/N Dean Funes.
- Day 4– Full day exploring Salinas Grandes and the surrounding Chaco woodland. O/N Dean Funes.
- Day 5– Drive to Quebrada del Condorito National Park. Full day birding Cordoba Hills. O/N Carlos Paz.
- Day 6 – Drive to San Luis province, birding en-route. O/N Merlo.
- Day 7– Full day birding around Merlo, Comechingones Hills and Chaco forest. O/N Merlo.
- Day 8 – Drive from Merlo to San Luis, afternoon birding central San Luis province. O/N San Luis.
- Day 9 – Full day birding the Monte habitats in and around Sierra de las Quijadas National Park. O/N San Luis.
- Day 10 – Transfer to San Luis Airport. Tour conclusion.
Great tour for combining with:
Private transportation for all transfers and excursions. Accommodations on a twin/double basis. Single supplements on request. Full time Trogon Tours’ leader to accompany the group from day 1 on arrival in Cordoba airport to day 10 on departure from San Luis airport. Local guides where required by law. All breakfasts, lunches, box-lunches and dinners, from dinner on day 1 to Breakfast on day 10 of the tour. No drinks included. Admission fees to all national parks and nature reserves.
What’s Not Included?
International and domestic airfares and airport taxes. Tips to guides, drivers, hotel & restaurants personnel, etc. Drinks with your meals. Personal travel and medical insurance. Anything not specified under “What is included?”
When to go
Other travel ideas
Contact a specialist
The specialist who designs your trip will have explored the country many times and, in some cases, lived there. Their first-hand knowledge gives us the belief that no other travel company can match our expertise in helping you plan your trip. Your dedicated specialist will take the time to understand your preferences and build them into an itinerary to match, working to your budget. He or she will keep perfecting it until you’re completely happy and ready to book.