- Tour Interest: Birding
- Tour Type: Overland
- Tour Dates: Runs on request
- Tour Duration: 15 Days – 14 Nights
- Starts/Ends: Starts in Tucumán ends in Salta
- Best time to go: April to October
- Prices: Based on group size
Northwestern Argentina is a land full of spectacular landscapes and with a vast cultural heritage. Remnants of buildings and roads from the “Great Inca Empire of the Sun” can still be found everywhere here, and many cultural events and pre-Hispanic rituals, such as that in honor of the “Pacha Mama” (Mother Earth), are still celebrated by the locals. Andean music is heard everywhere, and people still play their traditional instruments. This incredibly varied region has a great diversity of natural habitats, ranging from Yungas Cloudforest to dry Chaco Woodlands and High Andean Lagoons. The three provinces in the northwesternmost part of Argentina, Jujuy, Salta and Tucumán, host some pristine representatives of these habitats, all worth visiting for birders to find both diversity and good numbers of native species.
White-browed and Zimmer’s Tapaculo, Tucuman Mountain Finch, Yellow-striped Brushfinch, Sandy Gallito, White-throated Cacholote, Moreno’s Ground Dove, Rufous-bellied Saltator, Rufous-throated Dipper, Spot-winged Falconet, Torrent Duck, Tucuman Amazon, White-throated Antpitta, Stripe-backed Antbird, Yungas Manakin, Puna Tinamou, Black-backed Grosbeak, Red-faced Guan, Lyre-tailed Nightjar, Black-and-chestnut Eagle, White-tipped Plantcutter, Red-backed Sierra Finch, Fulvous-headed Brushfinch, Buff-breasted Earthcreeper, Cordilleran and Puna canasteros, Wedge-tailed Hillstar, Slender-billed Miner.
- Day 1 – Morning meeting at Tucumán Airport. Drive to Tafí del Valle. O/N Tafí.
- Day 2 – Full day birding Tafí del Valle. O/N Tafí.
- Day 3 – Tafí del Valle to Cafayate. O/N Cafayate.
- Day 4 – Cafayate to Cabra Corral. O/N Cabra Corral.
- Day 5 – Full day Cachi Road. O/N Cabra Corral.
- Day 6 – Cabra Corral to Las Lajitas. O/N Las Lajitas.
- Day 7 – Full day birding Chaco habitats. O/N Las Lajitas.
- Day 8 – Las Lajitas to Libertador Gral. San Martín. O/N Lib. Gral. San Martín.
- Day 9 – Full day birding Calilegua National Park. O/N Lib. Gral. San Martín.
- Day 10 – Lib. Gral. San Martín to Purmamarca. O/N Purmamarca.
- Day 11 – Full day birding Yala and Purmamarca. O/N Purmamarca.
- Day 12 – Purmamarca to Huacalera, O/N Huacalera.
- Day 13 – Huacalera to La Quiaca via Pozuelos. O/N La Quiaca.
- Day 14 – Full day birding Yavi and High Andean Puna. O/N La Quiaca.
- Day 15 – La Quiaca to Jujuy or Salta. Tour conclusion.
Great tour for combining with:
Private transportation for all transfers and excursions. Accommodations on a twin/double basis. Single supplements on request. Full time Trogon Tours’ leader to accompany the group from day 1 on arrival in Tucumán Airport to day 15 on departure from Salta Airport. All breakfasts, lunches, box-lunches and dinners, from lunch on day 1 to lunch on day 15 of the tour. No drinks included. Admission fees to all national parks and nature reserves.
What’s Not Included?
International and domestic airfares and airport taxes. Tips to guides, drivers, hotel & restaurants personnel, etc. Drinks with your meals. Personal travel and medical insurance. Anything not specified under “What is included?”
When to go
Other travel ideas
Contact a specialist
The specialist who designs your trip will have explored the country many times and, in some cases, lived there. Their first-hand knowledge gives us the belief that no other travel company can match our expertise in helping you plan your trip. Your dedicated specialist will take the time to understand your preferences and build them into an itinerary to match, working to your budget. He or she will keep perfecting it until you’re completely happy and ready to book.