- Tour Interest: Birding, and Short Tours
- Tour Type: Overland
- Tour Dates: Runs on request
- Tour Duration: 4 Days – 3 Nights
- Starts/Ends: Starts and ends in Puerto Madryn
- Best time to go: Year-round
- Prices: Based on group size
Northern Patagonia’s Atlantic coast hosts an incredible diversity of bird species. Many nest here, including lots of residents and several migrants. Birds like Magellanic Penguin are found by the millions along the coast of mighty Patagonia, and this is by all means a paradise for marine and shorebirds’ enthusiasts. But besides, many Argentine endemics dwell the Patagonian dry steppes, and most of these birds can also be found in this area.
Birds in this part of the world are really unique and many of them are restricted to the Patagonian region. The list includes White-headed Steamer-Duck, Rusty-backed Monjita, Band-tailed Earthcreeper, Patagonian Canastero and Carbonated Sierra-Finch among others. This is also home to the largest nesting colonies of Magellanic Penguins on earth! Over a million penguins nest, raise their young and molt their feathers in northeastern Chubut every year between September and April. This is a magical place by all means, with many protected areas open for visitors to enjoy watching and photographing these amusing penguins right next to their feet!
The Lower Valley of the Chubut River hosts some very interesting wetlands that are home to a great diversity of water birds, including several species of ducks, coots, Chilean flamingos by the thousands, and many migratory shorebirds. These and other species can be seen here all year round, making it one of the most rewarding birding locations in northeastern Patagonia.
Some Birds Possibly Found
Elegant Crested Tinamou, Lesser Rhea, Black-chested Buzzard Eagle, Cinereous Harrier, Flying Steamer Duck, White-headed Steamer Duck, Magellanic Penguin, Northern Giant Petrel, Southern Giant Petrel, Dolphin Gull, Rock Shag, Imperial Cormorant, Snowy Sheathbill, Magellanic Oystercatcher, Blackish Oystercatcher, Two-banded Plover, Tawny-throated Dotterel, Brown Skua, Burrowing Owl, Burrowing Parrot, White-throated Cacholote, Band-tailed Earthcreeper, Plain-mantled Tit-Spinetail, Patagonian Canastero, Rusty-backed Monjita, Tufted Tit-Tyrant, Patagonian Mockingbird, Carbonated Sierra Finch, Patagonian Yellow Finch, Long-tailed Meadowlark.
- Day 1– Meeting with your Trogon Tours’ leader at Trelew or Puerto Madryn airport. Afternoon birding around Puerto Madryn, looking for endemics and specialties to the Patagonian Monte habitat. O/N Puerto Madryn
- Day 2– Full day birding the Patagonian Steppe south of Trelew and NE Chubut’s Atlantic shore, including the area of Isla Escondida and the Magellanic Penguin colony of Punta Tombo. O/N Puerto Madryn
- Day 3– Full day birding the Lower Valley of the Chubut River, including lagoons and wetlands near Trelew the Atlantic coast near Rawson. O/N Puerto Madryn
- Day 4– Last morning birding around Puerto Madryn or Trelew. Early afternoon transfer to your selected airport. Tour Conclusion
Great tour for combining with:
Private transportation for all transfers and excursions. Accommodations on a twin/double basis. Single supplements on request. Full time Trogon Tours’ leader to accompany the group from day 1 on arrival in Trelew or Puerto Madryn airport to day 4 on departure from that same airport. Local guides where required by law. All breakfasts, lunches, box-lunches and dinners, from dinner on day 1 to lunch on day 4 of the tour. No drinks included. Admission fees to all national parks and nature reserves.
What’s Not Included?
International and domestic airfares and airport taxes. Tips to guides, drivers, hotel & restaurants personnel, etc. Drinks with your meals. Personal travel and medical insurance. Anything not specified under “What is included?”
When to go
Other travel ideas
Contact a specialist
The specialist who designs your trip will have explored the country many times and, in some cases, lived there. Their first-hand knowledge gives us the belief that no other travel company can match our expertise in helping you plan your trip. Your dedicated specialist will take the time to understand your preferences and build them into an itinerary to match, working to your budget. He or she will keep perfecting it until you’re completely happy and ready to book.