- Tour Interest: Natural History and Birdwatching
- Tour Type: Overland
- Tour Dates: Runs on request
- Tour Duration: 8 Days – 7 Nights
- Starts/Ends: Starts in San Martín de los Andes ends in San Carlos de Bariloche
- Best time to go: September to March
- Prices: Based on group size
Sitting in the north-westernmost part of Argentine Patagonia, the Province of Neuquén offers a wide diversity of habitats, al worth exploring for birders and naturalists alike. Neuquén boasts a spectacular range of habitats, including vast, arid steppes, hills and the spectacular Andean range. It is here where the Andean habitats switch from dry, high altitude steppes and semi deserts -so typical in western subtropical South America- to the somehow lower and wetter mountains, home to ancient Southern Beech forests – a habitat that’s unique to Patagonia – home to a wide variety of restricted birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians and plants, including several species of orchids.
Our tour has been specially designed to explore the three most important habitats of Neuquén: the Patagonian Steppe, Patagonia Andean Beech Forest and Patagonian Lakes, to look for their unique wildlife.
We will see habitats ranging from volcanoes, glaciers and lakes to wetlands, deserts, forests and rivers, to look for Patagonia’s endemic and special birds, but also its mammals, reptiles an other wildlife. During our tour, we’ll visit three national parks: Lanín, Laguna Blanca and Nahuel Huapi.
This is a must-go journey for naturalists wanting to see most of western Patagonian species concentrated in a small area, but also for those looking for the rarest specialties and endemics. Join Trogon Tours’ expert naturalists on one of Patagonia’s most spectacular tours ever!
Magellanic Woodpecker, Striped Woodpecker, Chilean Flicker, Andean Condor, Lesser Rhea, Chilean Hawk, White Throated Hawk, Burrowing Parrot, Austral Parakeet, Great Shrike Tyrant, Austral Canastero, Patagonian Canastero, White-throated Cacholote, Band-tailed Earthcreeper, Spectacled Duck, Patagonian Tyrant, Patagonian Sierra Finch, Magellanic Tapaculo, Chucao Tapaculo, Andean Duck, Flying Steamer Duck, Many Colored Rush Tyrant, Hellmayr’s Pipit, Patagonian Mockingbird, Magellanic Snipe, Culpeo Fox, Guanaco, Dwarf Armadillo and Large Hairy Armadillo.
- Day 1 – Today you’ll meet your Trogon Tours’ leader at Chapelco Airport in San Martín de los Andes. Transfer to Junín de los Andes. O/N Junín de los Andes
- Days 2 and 3 – Two full days birding the Patagonian Steppe and Patagonian forest around Junín de los Andes and Lanin National Park. O/N Junín de los Andes
- Day 4 – Transfer from Junín de los Andes to Zapala. Birding Laguna Blanca National Park. O/N Zapala
- Day 5 – Full day Birding around Zapala (Patagonian Steppe and lagoons). O/N Zapala
- Day 6 – Transfer from Zapala to Junín de los Andes. Birding Patagonian Steppe. O/N Junín de los Andes
- Day 7 – Full day birding the Patagonian forest and lakes. O/N Junín de los Andes
- Day 8 – Transfer from Junín de los Andes to Bariloche, birding on the way. Afternoon drive to the airport. Tour conclusion.
Great tour for combining with:
Private transportation for all transfers and excursions. Accommodations on a twin/double basis. Single supplements on request. Full time Trogon Tours’ leader to accompany the group from day 1 on arrival in San Martin de los Andes airport to day 8 on departure from Bariloche airport. Local guides where required by law. All breakfasts, lunches, box-lunches and dinners, from dinner on day 1 to lunch on day 8 of the tour. No drinks included. Admission fees to all national parks and nature reserves.
What’s Not Included?
International and domestic airfares and airport taxes. Tips to guides, drivers, hotels & restaurants personnel, etc. Drinks with your meals. Personal travel and medical insurance. Anything not specified under “What is included?”
When to go
Other travel ideas
Contact a specialist
The specialist who designs your trip will have explored the country many times and, in some cases, lived there. Their first-hand knowledge gives us the belief that no other travel company can match our expertise in helping you plan your trip. Your dedicated specialist will take the time to understand your preferences and build them into an itinerary to match, working to your budget. He or she will keep perfecting it until you’re completely happy and ready to book.