- Tour Interest: Birding and Natural History
- Tour Type Overland
- Tour Dates Runs on request
- Tour Duration 10 Days – 9 Nights
- Starts/Ends Starts in Belize City ends in Flores
- Best time to go December to April
- Prices Based on group size
Belize is an ideal setting for bird watchers with many birding hotspots. In addition, six Important Bird Areas (IBAs) have been identified in this country. The tropical forests, savannahs, numerous cayes, wetlands, and coastal plains of Belize offer a myriad of habitat to many birds.
There are 102 protected areas in Belize, placing 22.6% of its territory under some form of protection. Around 232,750 hectares (575,138 acres) of Broadleaf Forest; 7,460 hectares (18,434 aces) of Pine Forest and 3,090 hectares (7,635 acres) of Savannah land span through its entire territory.
Guatemala’s wildlife is protected within a vast network of national parks and nature reserves, many of which also preserve the country’s Mayan archaeological and artistic patrimony. Guatemala stands within the 25 most biodiverse countries on Earth. There are 748 bird species recorded for the country, including 35 regional endemics restricted to the Guatemala/Mexico border area. This is certainly a must-see wildlife destination, worth visiting for naturalists and wildlife photographers the world over.
Nestled in the heart of the Mayan Biosphere’s Reserve, Tikal National Park is a World Cultural Heritage Site, hosting more than 3,000 Mayan structures within an area of 576 km2 (222 sq. mi.), including temples, palaces and causeways. This is also one of Guatemala’s top birding spots and we will have the chance to thoroughly explore it.
Our tour has been specially designed for birders and naturalists to enjoy watching and photographing Belize’s natural diversity, adding Guatemala and Tikal as “the icing on the cake.” We invite you to join us on this fantastic Mesoamerican wildlife travel adventure, exploring Belize and Guatemala’s diverse wilderness and their vast cultural heritage.
Archaeological ruins of Lamanai (Belize) and Tikal (Guatemala), in the heart of the ancient Mayan World. More than 300 species of birds, including Agami Heron, Ocellated Turkey, Crested Guan, Orange-breasted Falcon, Brown Jay, Montezuma Oropendola and many others.
- Day 1 – Meeting with your Trogon Tours’ leader at Belize International Airport. Transfer to Lamanai Outpost Lodge. O/N Lamanai Outpost Lodge.
- Days 2 and 3 – Two full days exploring Lamanai Outpost Lodge. O/N Lamanai Outpost Lodge.
- Day 4 – Morning boat/land transfer to Mountain Pine Ridge. O/N Hidden Valley Inn.
- Day 5 – Full day exploring Hidden Valley and western Belize mountains. O/N Hidden Valley Inn.
- Day 6 – Morning transfer to Las Guacamayas Biological Station, Guatemala. O/N Las Guacamayas.
- Day 7 – Full day exploring Las Guacamayas Biological Station. O/N Las Guacamayas.
- Day 8 – Morning transfer to Tikal National Park. O/N Tikal.
- Day 9 – Full day exploring Tikal National Park. O/N Tikal.
- Day 10 – Morning transfer to Mundo Maya International Airport. Tour Conclusion.
Private transportation for all transfers and excursions. Accommodations on a twin/double basis. Single supplements on request. Full time Trogon Tours’ leader to accompany the group from day 1 on arrival in Belize International Airport to day 10 on departure from Flores Airport. Local guides where required by law. All breakfasts, lunches, box-lunches and dinners, from lunch on day 1 to breakfast on day 10 of the tour. No drinks included. Admission fees to all national parks and nature reserves.
What’s Not Included?
International and domestic airfares and airport taxes. Tips to guides, drivers, hotel & restaurants personnel, etc. Drinks with your meals. Personal travel and medical insurance. Anything not specified under “What is included?”
Contact a specialist
The specialist who designs your trip to India will have explored the country many times and, in some cases, lived there. Their first-hand knowledge gives us the belief that no other travel company can match our expertise in helping you plan your trip. Your dedicated specialist will take the time to understand your preferences and build them into an itinerary to match, working to your budget. He or she will keep perfecting it until you’re completely happy and ready to book.